New Children’s Minister appointed in reshuffle
Kemi Badenoch has been appointed Children and Families Minister as part of the new Prime Ministers’ drastic reshuffle.
The Saffron Waldon MP was appointed following Nadhim Zahawi’s move to the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, after approximately 18 months in the role. Mr Zahawi said the new minister will be “a real champion for our most vulnerable children”.
In a wide-ranging brief, Mrs Badenoch will be responsible for adoption, special educational needs and local authority performance. She will work under the new Secretary of State for Education, Gavin Williamson who replaced Damian Hinds last week.
Mrs Badenoch was born in London and spent much of her childhood in Nigeria and the US, before returning to the UK aged 16. She worked in IT and banking before entering politics. She became MP for Saffron Waldon following the 2017 snap general election. Prior to that she was a member of the London Assembly.
News from casa
- Department for Education press release: New government support for adoptive families
- Caretaker Children’s Minister appointed
- New Children’s Minister appointed in reshuffle
- Next Prime Minister urged to pledge long-term support for traumatised children
- MPs open inquiry into the future of adoption support